Return Of The Iceline

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

I think that covered most of it Brian.

Like you, I also got lost in the technical aspects of the strategies and do wonder if some of the new guys are as well.

The more practice we seem to be getting, the worse the powerplay seems to get

Are the new guys in particular struggling to adapt to Fox's systems?

We have 5 new import forwards (Collins, Gettinger, Archambault, Rockwood and Teissala).

In league and cup to date we've played 9 games. In those games the new guys have combined for a total of 5 goals.

To put that into perspective, Balmas has scored 9 goals.

Either the coach has signed duffs or they're struggling to adapt to our league/systems. Looking at the players CV's, I suspect it's more the latter.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
Clear The Zone
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:09 pm
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Brian wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 06, 2026 11:24 pm
However he also went on about along string of what I would call “ Coach Jargon “ , about a dozen different strategies you should play in different circumstances within games. Frankly, it confused me ( doesn't take much ) but I wonder if the players are a bit confused by it too.
Doom wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 12:39 am
Like you, I also got lost in the technical aspects of the strategies and do wonder if some of the new guys are as well.
I also didn't understand the more technical and jargon-heavy aspects, but I also understand he's coaching adult professionals who have dedicated their lives to playing the game at a high level and hence I have absolutely zero concerns that the players don't know what's expected of them. They are not an under-9s side, give 'em some credit.

I thought it was an interesting listen anyway. What's clear is that hockey coaching is rarely about structure and position in the way that it would be in, say, football, because everything happens too fast and it's more about split-second decision making and having eyes in the back of your head and a sixth sense for where your teammates are and what they're thinking. Some of this stuff is almost intangible and for this reason I can see it would be frustrating to both players and coaching staff when it's just not clicking, because the remedy to it is also a bit intagible. If it was easy then all teams would be playing great all the time. It suggests there's far more going on than most of us armchair expects would admit, especially if you are lost at the first bit of jargon.

The issue of buy-in to this "it's playoff hockey in September" thing is a longer-standing issue. I am not surprised that players struggle with this, because it's an impossible ask. The reason other leagues in other countries don't do it is because it doesn't work, as the longer time goes on the more convinced I am that it's damaging to the British game, it leads to situations like ours where after 9 games people are calling for a new coach. The league should absolutely bin off the league trophy, switch to a two-conference system with no overall league table, move to a meaningful playoff series, and if needs be add an early-season one-off tournament weekend, and keep the CC as it is (but with better group system). Maybe this is the way forward once the Dublin team exists. Perhaps one for a future Iceline to discuss.
User avatar
Keith Sheppard
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
Has Liked: 181 times
Been Liked: 91 times

What an insightful show it was, I hope Foxy is able to come on the show again in the future. It emphasised to me how complex the process is in achieving success in this sport. It really is like playing speed chess, while having the aim of a sniper, the dexterity/balance of a gymnast and the tactical awareness of an army officer. Im sure it all looks much simpler to us sat in the seats at the arena than it does for the lads on the ice.
User avatar
Jayboy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Location: Chesterfield
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 736 times
Contact:

Re PT... We didnt fire him.. Tony did that... and if he hadn't wanted to he wouldn't have... i seem to remember his reasoning at the time had a great many reasons to let him go...that fans had been saying for a good 6 months prior to him eventually going.. No.. what DS doesn't like and never has.. that there are many knowledgeable fans out there that know hockey and have their own opinions and are of course entitled to express them...
As a fan base we have been extremely passionate in the past of the standard of hockey we want to see... and for me Fox as had a somewhat easy ride up to now.. given the trophies he has won with the club.. Fans now want better hockey and better results... and unless that changes for the better quickly.. I suspect the fans will up the ante regardless of what DS thinks or wants... it has nothing at all to do with how good a bloke he is... i happen to agree.. but its a fantastic coach we need not a throughly decent chap..


Jayboy


Image
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

Clear The Zone wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:01 am
I also didn't understand the more technical and jargon-heavy aspects, but I also understand he's coaching adult professionals who have dedicated their lives to playing the game at a high level and hence I have absolutely zero concerns that the players don't know what's expected of them. They are not an under-9s side, give 'em some credit.
I do vaguely recall in pre-season a couple of the more experienced pros mentioning that they had to learn some of the systems because they hadn't played them before.

Maybe it's taking longer to adjust to those systems than we all hoped.

As noted above, the output to date from the 5 new import forwards is appalling. I'm hoping it's just a case of them taking time to adapt, rather than them not being good enough anymore.

Based on my pre-season predictions, I would have had them down for a total of 14 or 15 goals by now, not the 5 they've achieved.

Balmas had a quiet weekend against Fife and we only scored 2 goals. We can't keep relying on him for all our goals, at some point the new guys need to start producing......let's hope it starts on Saturday.

Regards

Doom
Last edited by Doom on Wed Oct 07, 2026 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Clear The Zone
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:09 pm
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Jayboy wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:34 am
Re PT... We didnt fire him.. Tony did that... and if he hadn't wanted to he wouldn't have...
I am pretty sure at the time it was reported that PT resigned for personal reasons, NOT that he was fired by the club.
User avatar
Jayboy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Location: Chesterfield
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 736 times
Contact:

It was a 'left by mutual agreement' i am sure..

Jayboy

Image
User avatar
Jayboy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Location: Chesterfield
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 736 times
Contact:

Clear The Zone wrote:
Jayboy wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:34 am
Re PT... We didnt fire him.. Tony did that... and if he hadn't wanted to he wouldn't have...
I am pretty sure at the time it was reported that PT resigned for personal reasons, NOT that he was fired by the club.
Ok I except that was the case.... i stand corrected...

Jayboy


Image
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

'On Monday afternoon Thompson, who must have felt let down by some of the new players he'd put his trust in, finally showed how "sick of it" he was, by handing in his resignation.'

Taken from The Star article 1/10/18.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
Keith Sheppard
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
Has Liked: 181 times
Been Liked: 91 times

Regardless of if/how PT was sacked/resigned, he began his tenure after the unceremonious sacking of another coach and a ‘good man’ who was still polishing the trophy he had just won for the club, and who’s squad formed the backbone for PT’s early success. If anyone should feel aggrieved about the way they left the club, that should be Gerad Adams and Neil Able.
Post Reply