GAME THREAD: Steelers v Flyers: Sat 3rd: League

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Jayboy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Location: Chesterfield
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 736 times
Contact:

Somebody smarter than me is going to have to explain why that is a goal... with net of its pegs!

Jayboy

Image
User avatar
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 pm
Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 495 times

Goal given after review


Steelers 1-2 Flyers Result
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

The goal was undoubtedly controversial, but let's not let it divert from what was an awful Steelers performance.

No surprise we lost the faceoff in overtime which gave Fife the chance to score.

Rubbish powerplays, rubbish at faceoffs, poor passing, poor puck control.....we look miles off a top team.

I dread to think what Belfast will do against us.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
steeler pete
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 am
Has Liked: 107 times
Been Liked: 121 times

That is bizarre! How is that a goal? I hope we get a good explanation.

We were kept out well and seemed clueless as to how to break Fife down. I’m not surprised it wax a close game but that end was shocking.
User avatar
DSLSteeler
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2026 5:09 pm
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 11 times

Well, what can I say - I made a last minute call to go tonight - kinda wish I hadn't bothered. I dont have much experience yet but even I can see that was piss poor. Awful face off win ratio, constant dumping, turn over after turn over from constant poor decisions, out muscled all over the ice. Just very poor. By some distance the worst game of ice hockey I have seen so far.

The decision to give the goal looks to be unfathomable, but let's not kid ourselves - Flyers deserved to win that. Face off win (again) gives them the chance. I thought they were the better team. They aren't going to be the league whipping boys this year on that evidence.

But good god, how has that goal been given?
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

The goal decision is confusing, I can only assume they think Greenfield deliberately kicked it off to stop them scoring, although i don't agree with that.

No doubt Fox will focus on this, but my concern is the other 61 minutes we had to win the game.

If you don't play a physical game, then at least your technical play needs to be good.....ours was shocking.

I'm not sure where we go from here, because it's quite clear a few of the players aren't the quality we need to win a title. 3 points dropped already.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
greeny
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:09 pm
Has Liked: 94 times
Been Liked: 152 times

Game On

Thats a bad loss, to lose a league game at home against fife {no disrespect to them ) but they were not great shows that we have not moved on from last season,,, a typical fox squad, average , no stand out exciting players with no physicality about them when needed. a long season ahead and we may be reying on other teams being a no better standard than us in order to get points.
User avatar
DiscoRay
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:39 pm
Has Liked: 81 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Jayboy wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:32 pm
Somebody smarter than me is going to have to explain why that is a goal... with net of its pegs!

Jayboy
If a defending player dislodges the net regardless of it being accidental or deliberate, the referee can award a goal if an attacking player had a clear scoring opportunity and the puck would have crossed the goal line exactly where the normal position of the goal frame would have been. Which from what I seen of the goal on twitter most definitely qualifies.
User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

Hate to sound like stuck record.

What is the actual style/brand of hockey we are supposed to be trying to play?

Is it fast, skillfull hockey because that was woefully absent tonight.

When that is misfiring (even when it isnt) you hope the team shows a bit of grit, determination and physicality. None of that at all.

Some big name, big money signings completely anonymous or making poor plays.

I liked Tait tonight going forward, wasn't much else at all.
User avatar
Steve
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 am
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 17 times

A few weeks ago I came on the forum feeling optimistic that this team once they had gelled could compere for the trophy's, i can now confidently say we have no chance of finishing in the top half with this team slash coach. It seems to me that fox has probably had his day, i don't see any team motivation, this is probably the least physical team I have seen us have, we have some skilled players but they are largely invisible,the games in general are pretty boring and from attending virtually every home game for 35 years I am now content to pick my games and watch the rest on the webcast. I feel for tony because he is now in danger of starting to undo all the great work he has done.
Post Reply