GAME THREAD: Steelers v Devils Challenge Cup Semi-final, Sunday, 23rd February 7:30pm

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
kgw
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 31 times

kgw wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:04 pm
Clowne57 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:56 pm
Time for uncle Tony to put his hand in his pocket & find us a goal scorer. 5 0 discussing and still a period to go.
I thought the trade deadline had passed. No chance of signing anyone else if that's the case.
I meant transfer deadline but seems I was wrong either way.

Terrible game.
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

We left at the end of the 2nd which saved me an issue about getting home

Out coached tonight by a team who knew if they protected their goal we wouldn't have a clue how to beat their netminder.

We've replaced Connolly and DeLuca with guys coming towards the end of their careers......we need young blood with energy.

Time for a clear out and that includes certain Brits
User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

Nathan wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 pm
paul johnston wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:53 pm
Looking forward to the game. If our fast skating, speedy skill game can be there for me than 5-10 minutes per game we should take it to the physical, but very slow and ponderous Devils D.
That very slow and ponderous D just outskated the hell out of us .
I'm not sure they outskated us but certainly out defended us. If we don't play to our alleged strengths, eg speed and skill then we have nothing.
I think our d made mistakes/assisted them on all five of their goals.
User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

Whistle showed more than anyone tonight and he's a two way player. The lack of effort from the rest over the whole 60 minutes was puzzling.
I'm not sure I saw any coaching masterstroke tonight.
We came into the season hoping to be strong through the middle with Conns, Hodgman, Oleksuk and Armstrong. Two of those no longer available and the other two are underperforming. It's been a big issue.
User avatar
SteelerBlade
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:29 am
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Doom wrote:We left at the end of the 2nd which saved me an issue about getting home

Out coached tonight by a team who knew if they protected their goal we wouldn't have a clue how to beat their netminder.

We've replaced Connolly and DeLuca with guys coming towards the end of their careers......we need young blood with energy.

Time for a clear out and that includes certain Brits
I always think of it as who would I be worried about signing for a rival team? Vallerand & Mosey only names who jump out, possibly Latál could sneak in.

Brits is a tougher issue as there’s a shortage of quality EIHL ready players.
"If you wish for peace prepare for war"
User avatar
smbmetal
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am
Been Liked: 726 times

Fox usually speaks really well post games. I’m really looking forward to his thoughts from this one.

We have to make sure this is one off or we will certainly quickly fall away from the remaining competitions.

Jay mentioned in another post that the team perhaps wasn’t getting enough credit. I’d certainly agree for most of 2021, but since the New Year we’ve been riding our luck.
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

paul johnston wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:15 pm
Whistle showed more than anyone tonight and he's a two way player. The lack of effort from the rest over the whole 60 minutes was puzzling.
I'm not sure I saw any coaching masterstroke tonight.
We came into the season hoping to be strong through the middle with Conns, Hodgman, Oleksuk and Armstrong. Two of those no longer available and the other two are underperforming. It's been a big issue.
We're shocking down the centre.
User avatar
ekt
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:17 am
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 37 times

Well that was crap.
Definitely the worst performance of the season, at least we've got that in the bag.
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

smbmetal wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:17 pm
Fox usually speaks really well post games. I’m really looking forward to his thoughts from this one.

We have to make sure this is one off or we will certainly quickly fall away from the remaining competitions.

Jay mentioned in another post that the team perhaps wasn’t getting enough credit. I’d certainly agree for most of 2021, but since the New 7 we’ve been riding our luck.
Fox has to play the diplomatic game, but after tonight it's clear we have too many has beens in our squad.
User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

I dont know how we are going to turn this around. I'm not sure we have a plan B. We could do with having a crash/bang line but we don't have any of those sort of players.
When the going is good we do ok. We just don't have the bottle to battle in the trenches when the going is tough. Its so un-Steelers like that we didn't throw a decent hit, let alone a punch or even a face wash when we were struggling.
It was a case of oh we are getting a hiding at home, whatever, let's meekly surrender and not be angry or upset about it.
Post Reply