GAME THREAD: Flyers v Steelers : Sun 4th : League
Moderator: Mods
- Rendo
- Pro Player

- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:42 pm
- Has Liked: 148 times
- Been Liked: 72 times
I appreciate that we cant win every game or be arrogant to say we should beat Fife too but loosing both games is not good enough, no disrespect to Fife intended but we need to do better and quickly or the bank will start to feel the lack of support and force changes.
- paul johnston
- Veteran

- Posts: 943
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
- Has Liked: 771 times
- Been Liked: 309 times
I've been criticised for my criticism of the coaching and recruitment over the last year or two but if you don't see the evidence provided by this weekends results and performances alone then I don't know what else to say.
- DSLSteeler
- Rookie

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2026 5:09 pm
- Has Liked: 24 times
- Been Liked: 11 times
Wow - I can't describe how disappointed I am by our failure to beat Fife twice in one weekend. They clearly are not the Fife of last season and are currently making the best of their capabilities with a certain style that is working for them. But still....
I am on holiday in a weeks time anyway, but I reckon it could be into November before I consider my next game now.
The season feels like its one of catch up already, and Belfast have yet to even start. Something is clearly missing but is Fox now capable of finding it.
I am on holiday in a weeks time anyway, but I reckon it could be into November before I consider my next game now.
The season feels like its one of catch up already, and Belfast have yet to even start. Something is clearly missing but is Fox now capable of finding it.
- ginger
- Veteran

- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm
- Has Liked: 136 times
- Been Liked: 379 times
Goaltending aside, major issues all over the ice. Just unacceptable level of play and there's major problems with systems. If the players can't make it work, it's got to change.
I'm never going to say Fox is a bad coach, because he's clearly not, but there comes a point for nearly every coach where it's just not working anymore, and usually that means a change is needed (often for both coach and team).
Can't see how there's not a coaching change if there's a couple more weekends like that in the next month or so
I'm never going to say Fox is a bad coach, because he's clearly not, but there comes a point for nearly every coach where it's just not working anymore, and usually that means a change is needed (often for both coach and team).
Can't see how there's not a coaching change if there's a couple more weekends like that in the next month or so
- Bryan
- Veteran

- Posts: 1570
- Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:23 pm
- Has Liked: 353 times
- Been Liked: 205 times
I’m not sure it is possible. I understand we can change 4 players. Would that be enough to cure this team of their ills? Having lost to Guildford, Coventry and Fife twice we are probably in the worst position I can remember for a long time. And is changing the players enough?steeler pete wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:35 pmFrom what I saw last night Fife are a much improved team but we seem to be a much poorer team I’m sorry to say.
It’s not too early for some change, in fact I think it’s imperative.
- ekt
- Draft Pick

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:17 am
- Has Liked: 23 times
- Been Liked: 37 times
Just not good enough this year.
This is not acceptable, Tony Smith needs to start asking questions, we are no longer the Steelers of the past.
When Dowd finally retires that will be the last strand of Steelers DNA gone.
We are a team of journeymen now.
This is not acceptable, Tony Smith needs to start asking questions, we are no longer the Steelers of the past.
When Dowd finally retires that will be the last strand of Steelers DNA gone.
We are a team of journeymen now.
- paul johnston
- Veteran

- Posts: 943
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
- Has Liked: 771 times
- Been Liked: 309 times
Changing the coach and keeping the same players would be more successful than keeping this coach and changing 4 players. In my opinion of course.steeler pete wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:35 pmFrom what I saw last night Fife are a much improved team but we seem to be a much poorer team I’m sorry to say.
It’s not too early for some change, in fact I think it’s imperative.
- Jayboy
- Site Admin

- Posts: 2685
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
- Location: Chesterfield
- Has Liked: 88 times
- Been Liked: 736 times
- Contact:
I like Tony Smith I really do and get on really well with him on the occasional chats during a season and pre and post chats... but i think he made a huge mistake at the very least not listening to the legitimate concerns of the fans last season and even before that... with all thats happening off the ice with price increases and fan numbers clearly not as high with his bums on seats aproach... i think he needs to act really fast if this slide continues... by any measure he can use.. Lose twice to a Fife team.. (and i honestly mean no disrespect) with limited financial resources compared to us must look at the very least a worrying trend...
And has a fan i can honestly say ive not watched one game so far this season where ive actually been impressed with our game... certainly, not for an entire 60 minute's...
Its going to be a long season if something doesn't change and mean change quickly...
Jayboy
And has a fan i can honestly say ive not watched one game so far this season where ive actually been impressed with our game... certainly, not for an entire 60 minute's...
Its going to be a long season if something doesn't change and mean change quickly...
Jayboy

- greeny
- Veteran

- Posts: 987
- Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:09 pm
- Has Liked: 94 times
- Been Liked: 152 times
Now knowing the standard of the squad we have losing 2 consecutive league games to fife is no suprise,,, in past times yes. personally i would not mind so much if we had an entertaining team that gave us something to look forward to in the games and lose But this dull, soft, bland,characterless hockey is really taking my love of the sport away. And as already said look no further than where the blame lies which is at the top ( coach).,,,
Last edited by greeny on Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- steeler pete
- Veteran

- Posts: 642
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 am
- Has Liked: 107 times
- Been Liked: 121 times
We’ve seen before 1 player can make a big impact. I’m not sure 1 is enough. IMO we need some toughness and we need a goal scorer.Bryan wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:48 pmI’m not sure it is possible. I understand we can change 4 players. Would that be enough to cure this team of their ills? Having lost to Guildford, Coventry and Fife twice we are probably in the worst position I can remember for a long time. And is changing the players enough?steeler pete wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:35 pmFrom what I saw last night Fife are a much improved team but we seem to be a much poorer team I’m sorry to say.
It’s not too early for some change, in fact I think it’s imperative.
I don’t like putting all blame on the coach and still won’t but I’m beginning to think Fox and Beston-Will are struggling to bring a winning team and tactics to the team. Perhaps they need to change.
Whatever as a season ticket holder I don’t want to watch gutless, boring hockey all season.