Page 1 of 2

Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm
by Jayboy
Steelers have confirmed the signing of 32 year old defenceman Carl Ackered

Ackered previously played 3 seasons with the Guildford Flames between 2017 and 2020 where he scored 54 goals and 140 points in 167 league and play off games.

After leaving the Flames, Ackered joined HC Dukla Trencin in Slovakia where he scored over a point a game (52 in 50) before moving to Graz99ers last season in the ICEHL

https://sheffieldsteelers.co.uk/steeler ... l-ackered/?
Carl is very good 2 way defenseman that has put up some really good numbers in this league previously.

He’s spent a few years away playing some really good hockey in Slovakia and Austria, when he became available last week and we felt with the current injury situation with Piche and Mitchell, which are both currently on the IR and no real exact timetable of a return we wanted to make sure we had enough cover in case they can’t come back fully healthy.
We felt he’s just too good of a player to not bring in at this time.
Carl is very good on the PP which we have had our struggles with and has an excellent shot. I feel he will fit into the group and give us another versatile player for the end of season here”.

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:39 pm
by raetiamann
Good news, as I understand it Piche is on the injured reserve list, so this is an excellent signing.

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:18 pm
by JoeySlats#13
Good signing to fill in with Piche on IR - we've certainly missed Piche's shot on the PP and from what I remember Ackered should certainly help us there.

I'm sure we will see him straight in the line up on Wednesday with Mosey moving up to play forward again.

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:16 pm
by Disguised
Nice pickup (as Todd would say) and someone I'd have been happy with at the start of the season.

We're one of a couple of clubs able to add this kind of quality at the deadline - and lets hope it brings some silverware.

Will be the 430th player to ice for the Steelers (unless Hayden takes to the ice first!) Bonus points for anyone who can name the previous two newbies (I couldn't until I checked!!)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/7968/carl-ackered

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:43 pm
by DimTim
There was a back up netminder from Sutton Sting Lewis King - although did he ice.? Perhaps another back up?

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:54 pm
by smbmetal
Welcome to Sheffield Calle, I remember him being a pain against us especially on the PP when he played for Guildford, so a good signing especially at this time of the year.

Fox really has been backed here by Tony Smith, no excuses for another trophy-less season.

Isn’t that 3 imports a game we’ll need to scratch now?

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:58 pm
by mark
So is it Calle or Carl ? , and Ackered or Ackerod ( Steelers web article gives both spellings in the same article )

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:20 pm
by smbmetal
Calle according to the EIHL website.

Played a lot of games for Guildford though in his 3 year stint 1191, a lot in 3 years that! :hey: :wonder:

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2 ... h-steelers

Perhaps one of those seasons was like our PT season which seemed to last forever.

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:08 pm
by Doom
We're certainly not getting him at his peak, his numbers dropped off quite badly at Guildford and he had the second worst +/- in his final season, but he's still a very good pick up this late and shows the continued backing Fox is getting from the ownership.

Hopefully this will help to improve our very mediocre powerplay.

I make that 15 fit imports we currently have (excluding back up netminder), so one will have to sit out this week.

Unless there's an injury we don't know about, my guess would be Mosey goes back up front and probably Pitule sits out.

Regards

Doom

Re: Sheffield Steelers sign Carl Ackered - Confirmed

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:04 pm
by Jayboy
Carl or Calle, I don’t mind” said Ackered after many fans were confused after our signing announcement on Monday
When I left the UK clubs started calling me Carl, I think it’s because that is what is on my passport and then Elite Prospects.
I think I prefer Calle but to be honest I’m not really bothered
Ackered arrived in Sheffield on Sunday and hopes to debut this Wednesday against Fife Flyers
We will see, I guess there is still paperwork to sort out but I hope I’m playing, there is a lot of hockey still to play and I can’t wait to get started, it is so close in the league with ever game meaning so much. Before that we have a chance to make a final against Belfast, I’m just excited to get going.