Page 1 of 2
Is it time
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:52 pm
by Jayboy
As Sara Brightman might say:
Time to say goodbye..
Well is it..?
A simple discussion about the coach Aaron Fox...
We are in danger of taking every thread off topic and I am as guilty as the rest..
So let's discuss the team issues and what to do to fix it and in particular is Aaron Fox still the guy to turn it around.. or not?
Jayboy
Re: Is it time
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:05 pm
by KCHC
I just put this on the match thread - Serious question - if not Fox, then who replaces him and why will they be the right person? Genuine question as I don't know enough about potentially available Coaches.
Re: Is it time
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:07 pm
by smbmetal
Mine is the same answer as it’s been for all of last season.
It’s time for a change. Under Fox we’ve seen both the very best and some of the very worst hockey I’ve ever seen.
The CHL campaign was absolutely fantastic and I enjoyed every single game. I’d argue it was better than the old ISL days.
The Grand Slam season was also a huge highlight and achievement in Steelers history, especially considering the tragic circumstances during that season. Fox is also the coach with the most wins I think.
Unfortunately, that’s where it stops for me. Despite the above achievements, I think the Steelers have lost their never say die, in your face, hardworking identity. I hold Fox 100% accountable for that.
I’ve already said I thought this season is a season too far for Fox and Tony needed to make a change at the end of last season.
Fox has had his time for me. It’s time to move on, thank Fox for his achievements and wish him all the very best for the future.
It could be a rocky ride though, will Simms stick his ore in like he did when things went sour under Thompson? Or has Tony already seen the light?
Re: Is it time
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:08 pm
by greeny
Aron served us well and got us the grand slam that there is no disputing,,,,, due to this he was entitled time to try and replicate this maybe 1 or 2 extra seasons. This was done and was not achieved,,,, so why would management be happy with this, probably because the bums on seats was still high enough for them to be happy, after all it is a buiseness and profit is the name of the game. But how long can they be happy with the club staying stuck in the mud and not moving forward and now that those bums on seats are reducing for one reason or another ( costs or hockey standard ) who knows for sure. Then surely they have to take this into account and try something different which to me means changing the coach,,,, common sense to me
Re: Is it time
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:13 pm
by Clear The Zone
As I said in the other thread....genuine question.....:
Clear The Zone wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:54 pm
When was the last time an EIHL team did well after binning a coach after tanking early/mid season? Gut feeling is this is hardly a recipe for success. Not unless you've got some sort of mercurial coaching talent waiting in the wings that you're utterly convinced can win with a team recruited by someone you've just sacked, + 4 changes.
I know we slightly improved once Barrasso had arrived that year, but it was marginal, he didn't have great raw material to work with. Glasgow after Corey left? That was hardly a great turnaround, neither was Fife after Coolen left or after Russell left midseason. So I suppose what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for.
As for Simms sticking his "ore" in, if this is a deliberate steel-making pun then I salute you good sir.
Re: Is it time
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:47 pm
by Bryan
I admired Fox for the support he has had from his players, for the grand slam and for the way he handled two very bad situations. He’s obviously a decent fellow.
I thought his chances had been exhausted last season, but our owner obviously didn’t agree. The problem moving to change him now is that good coaches sitting around waiting for Steelers to approach them are almost certainly non-existent.
On the other hand the owner moved to increase ticket and season prices by an extortionate amount last summer. Surely we are all entitled to expect a similar increase in standards. On the current evidence of losing to Guildford, Coventry and Fife twice, the standard looks to have dropped. We look like a fourth or even fifth placed team in the league. It is designed to ensure Belfast will of course win the cup.
I’m afraid I see a slow decline of results and revenue (though of course season tickets are paid for and the standard of what we get off ice has dropped too) I don’t see a good answer. Mr Smith has boxed himself in. To be fair I think it is his first serious mistake. He has been terrific. Steelers at the crossroads.
Re: Is it time
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:50 pm
by Jayboy
I agree with a great deal of that post Bryan... the only exception is the issue with what sticking with poor hockey performances for a whole season could do untold damage to the brand... and has the ticket prices are not likely to fall next season... one poor season could really hit the bums on seats and then your looking at 2 or 3 seasons to get them back, if ever... and thats if the hockey improves... you need to tourniquet the wound now before its a bigger issue further along in treatment..
Left to fester and spread... bad hockey spreads... good years are soon forgotten when paying out higher prices durring multiple bad ones..
Jayboy
Re: Is it time
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:47 pm
by Bryan
I agree with your point Jay. You are right of course. My worry is that rushing mid season to find a new coach could be awfully difficult to pull off well. I don’t have an answer except trying to poach one from another club. Not likely to be a popular move of course.
Re: Is it time
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:58 pm
by Jayboy
That or we get in a player coach... someone wanting to make one last hoora.. and move into coaching.. use one of our spots and replace a player clearly not performing and move fox up to back office... till his contract is finished...
Jayboy
Re: Is it time
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:50 pm
by KCHC
But who? Does anyone have any ideas..?