We would not have heard the decision had the refs been miked up anyway!
GAME THREAD: Steelers v Flyers: Sat 3rd: League
Moderator: Mods
- DSLSteeler
- Rookie

- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2026 5:09 pm
- Has Liked: 24 times
- Been Liked: 11 times
Well at least Fox didn’t focus on the OT goal controversy and called the game as others saw it.
https://youtu.be/fc4R_RQ8HDE?is=eMIQ80J7GqTqb2FY
He's right about one thing for sure - our PP stunk. 6 mins on PP and we barely had a sniff.
https://youtu.be/fc4R_RQ8HDE?is=eMIQ80J7GqTqb2FY
He's right about one thing for sure - our PP stunk. 6 mins on PP and we barely had a sniff.
- Jayboy
- Site Admin

- Posts: 2685
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
- Location: Chesterfield
- Has Liked: 88 times
- Been Liked: 736 times
- Contact:
To me, you could have cut and paste that interview from one of at least a dozen similar ones he has made in the last 2 seasons... Its time for Fox to leave I'm afraid... better he goes sooner rather than later for me too...DSLSteeler wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:26 pmWell at least Fox didn’t focus on the OT goal controversy and called the game as others saw it.
https://youtu.be/fc4R_RQ8HDE?is=eMIQ80J7GqTqb2FY
He's right about one thing for sure - our PP stunk. 6 mins on PP and we barely had a sniff.

- Doom
- Veteran

- Posts: 1802
- Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
- Has Liked: 158 times
- Been Liked: 978 times
They're his players and his tactics, so can he sort it and how quickly?DSLSteeler wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:26 pmWell at least Fox didn’t focus on the OT goal controversy and called the game as others saw it.
https://youtu.be/fc4R_RQ8HDE?is=eMIQ80J7GqTqb2FY
He's right about one thing for sure - our PP stunk. 6 mins on PP and we barely had a sniff.
As the saying goes, you can't win the league in October, but you can lose it. If we keep playing like this we'll certainly be out of contention in a few weeks, which would be disastrous for Tony.
This is why I was a bit irritated with the Iceline, because they just brushed over the two poor defeats as something which is easily fixable. Well it isn't fixed yet and what if it still isn't fixed in 3 or 4 weeks.....maybe it isn't easily fixable.
Let's hope we see a performance up in Fife tonight. 3 points out of this weekend wouldn't be great, but less than that would be very poor.
Regards
Doom
From a Flyers perspective, if you want to show a training video of how to play a road game show them this Flyers performance
We were excellent.
We were superbly coached and executed the plan nearly perfectly, everybody knew what was expected of them and carried it out
We never panicked in our D zone and were very controlled.
We won board battles, were physical, we got sticks and bodies into lanes.
Groh wasn't spectacular in nets but then he didn't have to be as the team in front of him did their jobs.
And that is what we are, a team. You can see and feel the togetherness, the trust.
We have now played 4 teams that have had a returning core of players to the league and for a team that has a majority of first year pros we are competing with them
We don't look like we will score a ton of goals but then if we work as good as we did last night we won't have to.
Will be interesting to see how Steelers respond tonight having been outworked on home ice, if it isn't sufficient then you may be in trouble but from what I saw last night Flyers have absolutely nothing to fear tonight
We were excellent.
We were superbly coached and executed the plan nearly perfectly, everybody knew what was expected of them and carried it out
We never panicked in our D zone and were very controlled.
We won board battles, were physical, we got sticks and bodies into lanes.
Groh wasn't spectacular in nets but then he didn't have to be as the team in front of him did their jobs.
And that is what we are, a team. You can see and feel the togetherness, the trust.
We have now played 4 teams that have had a returning core of players to the league and for a team that has a majority of first year pros we are competing with them
We don't look like we will score a ton of goals but then if we work as good as we did last night we won't have to.
Will be interesting to see how Steelers respond tonight having been outworked on home ice, if it isn't sufficient then you may be in trouble but from what I saw last night Flyers have absolutely nothing to fear tonight
- Keith Sheppard
- Draft Pick

- Posts: 163
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
- Has Liked: 181 times
- Been Liked: 91 times
All credit to Fife last night, As Harlan pointed out, they executed their road game perfectly. Let’s hope for a response from our players tonight and in the coming weeks, otherwise we are in for a rough season.
- Brian
- Pro Player

- Posts: 447
- Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm
- Has Liked: 114 times
- Been Liked: 164 times
It may seem daft but I think we need to slow down a little and engage our brains a bit more. Last night we seemed to want to play fast attacking hockey, all very well but if it causes you to make mistakes with poor passes , dodgy stick handling and lack of control leading to turn overs maybe we should concentrate on doing things well rather than quickly.
This team has the players who can pass around and through the opposition on the way to goal, but you need to give yourself enough time to do these things accurately rather than rushing head over heels into attack without a strategy.
We certainly need to change something after last night, maybe its the , “ Charge of the Light Brigade “, tactic.
This team has the players who can pass around and through the opposition on the way to goal, but you need to give yourself enough time to do these things accurately rather than rushing head over heels into attack without a strategy.
We certainly need to change something after last night, maybe its the , “ Charge of the Light Brigade “, tactic.
I didn’t see the game, but can’t say I’m surprised about the result or the performance.
I said on @greeny ’s expectations topic that I wasn’t looking forward to this season and that I wanted a coaching change at the end of last season.
It took me one pre-season full game to see that this season’s team will be a rinse and repeat of the average seasons past under Fox. In fact I actually thought this team would be slightly better, but the games I’ve seen since the pre-season one have been poor. Not sure I’ve seen as soft a team in my 25 years of watching ice hockey.
I’m no fan of Paul Thompson, but some of Fox’s hockey has been as bad as PT’s worst hockey IMO.
With only 4 team changes possible, it will take a couple of superb players to get this team competing at the top of the league. Heard was brought in last season to address the soft underbelly, which was somewhat successful. We’d need Dennis Vial to sort this lot out
Has Tony reduced the player budget? I actually doubt that, but if these performances continue the attendances will drop with them. 7,200 ish I didn’t think was too bad against Fife to be honest.
Be interesting what is discussed on the Ice Line later in the week.
I said on @greeny ’s expectations topic that I wasn’t looking forward to this season and that I wanted a coaching change at the end of last season.
It took me one pre-season full game to see that this season’s team will be a rinse and repeat of the average seasons past under Fox. In fact I actually thought this team would be slightly better, but the games I’ve seen since the pre-season one have been poor. Not sure I’ve seen as soft a team in my 25 years of watching ice hockey.
I’m no fan of Paul Thompson, but some of Fox’s hockey has been as bad as PT’s worst hockey IMO.
With only 4 team changes possible, it will take a couple of superb players to get this team competing at the top of the league. Heard was brought in last season to address the soft underbelly, which was somewhat successful. We’d need Dennis Vial to sort this lot out
Has Tony reduced the player budget? I actually doubt that, but if these performances continue the attendances will drop with them. 7,200 ish I didn’t think was too bad against Fife to be honest.
Be interesting what is discussed on the Ice Line later in the week.
- mark
- Site Admin

- Posts: 3851
- Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 pm
- Has Liked: 50 times
- Been Liked: 495 times
Have we progressed since the Grand Slam year ?, clearly not. I'm excluding the deals with the Steeldogs, this is just on the team we put out and the results we obtain. That measure is what all coaches in professional sport are judged on and it has to be said that this year has not started well, poor results and performances will result in fewer fans attending, either things have to change or Tony Smith is going to be forced into making a business decision.