Return Of The Iceline

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Brian
Pro Player
Pro Player
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm
Has Liked: 114 times
Been Liked: 164 times

Yes, Keith, absolutely.
User avatar
smbmetal
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am
Been Liked: 726 times

Jayboy wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:24 pm
NinjaBreadMark wrote:Just saw a post online that Fox is going to be live on the IceLine tonight....

https://x.com/steelershockey/status/2107430102694875299

so now's you're chance to get your questions and comments in!
So who listened live? How did it go? Image
Where the obvious questions asked/answered?
Someone care to elaborate...

Jayboy
I thought the Ice Line was better than last week. The questions posed to Aaron were fair questions and one or two fairly tough ones and even though I didn't necessarily agree with some of his answers, I thought he answered them very well.

I mentioned on the Fife game thread that I wondered if the coaching team struggled to articulate what they wanted system wise to the players. Fox's answers to the questions posed suggested that some of the players did not understand the current systems. I certainly lost him when he was explaining the 'modern game/systems'.

In my opinion Simms slightly ruined it right at the end with his 'decent bloke' comment and yet again bringing his best mate in the conversation. As people have already said, I don't think anyone thinks either Fox or Thompson aren't decent blokes. Fans will rightly question ANY coach if there is lack of success or consistent poor performances.

An Ice Line is better than no Ice Line for me though and I think it's currently worth a listen.
User avatar
MLL79
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 11:56 am
Has Liked: 254 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Enjoyed that one, and so good to hear from AF, even if a lot of the technical speak was completely befuddling.

I just about understood the predictability side, speed of the game and decision time means a lot does have to be on auto pilot - put the puck here and someone will be there etc.

I do feel tons of variables and micro strategies will suit some and not others. This isn’t really a criticism/complaint against AF, but I can’t help but think back to Don McKee days if people remember. I think he was one of the first “technical detail” coaches we perhaps had in Sheffield, I remember my fave Tommy Plommer referring to him as the best coach he played under, most of the others saw him as the most difficult/least favourite. I remember the way we played the first game Blazer coached after McKeee departed and it was like “freedom time” and they romped it. The “release” was tangible.

I’m not suggesting AF should leave at all, far from it, I’m probably the other way around at this point. Just that not all will be able to adapt and play the detailed technical styles/strategies. Maybe it’s more like time to loosen the leash a little in some areas?

I feel like Fife and Wallace had a more basic approach, one that the whole roster could pull the same direction, or maybe I’m equally as ignorant that there’s a lot more going on under their play than I could discern - probably so lol…. But, I do know if only half the team understand what they’re meant to be doing, it’s not going to work… or maybe only half the time.

This coming weekend will be really interesting v Glasgow as Jonathan pointed out.

For me it’s great to have the ice line back, especially if it continues like this.

All the best,
Post Reply