Return Of The Iceline

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

The problem is these two guys are too close to the organisation. They are not going to say it as it is.
User avatar
Clear The Zone
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:09 pm
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Honestly I don't know what some of you were expecting. They are hardly likely to be sticking the boot in, are they?
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

I don't expect them to put the boot in, but I don't just want to listen to cheerleading of all that's good.

A bit of balance between the two would be better.

Saturday night was an adequate performance sandwiched between two poor performances. I say adequate, because we were playing a Cardiff team missing 3 players having also played the night before.

The penalty kill looks good again, but the faceoffs are poor again.

There's good and bad to date, I'd like to see them focus on both.

A good show though and great to have it back. I look forward to them having a few guests in the future.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 pm
Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 495 times

From memory wasn't the original host Seth Bennett who is a professional journalist and broadcaster and had enough independence to be able to ask the questions the fans want answers to ?.
User avatar
Clear The Zone
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:09 pm
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 47 times

mark wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:46 am
From memory wasn't the original host Seth Bennett who is a professional journalist and broadcaster and had enough independence to be able to ask the questions the fans want answers to ?.
I think it was before Seth was on the scene, more likely to have been Bob Ballard perhaps?
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

I'd suggest it was Bob Ballard originally.

I think Seth took over around the GS season (2000/01), because I vaguely recall him getting some criticism for refusing to commentate during the bench clearance in Nottingham.

I phoned the Iceline in the first ISL season to stick up for the players who were receiving criticism from supporters. I think that was quite a long time before Seth got involved.

Regards

Doom
User avatar
MLL79
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 11:56 am
Has Liked: 254 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Yeah I remember it being Bob Ballard, he was the incumbent commentator for everything pre Seth Bennett.

Used to do all the commentary on the season review vids and odd games they put out - “to hell with the devils” and “skinning the cat” are 2 vids I vividly remember as a kid lol
User avatar
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 pm
Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 495 times

I'd forgotten Bob Ballard, my point was that the iceline was a success when hosted by someone who was a little more independent and could ask the awkward questions if needed, without that it's just another Steelers podcast.
User avatar
paul johnston
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Has Liked: 771 times
Been Liked: 309 times

Clear The Zone wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:43 pm
Honestly I don't know what some of you were expecting. They are hardly likely to be sticking the boot in, are they?
Why would they have to put the boot in, not exactly playing like the Flyers of last season are they?
A balanced, accurate take on what's been in front of them is all one would ask for.
User avatar
Clear The Zone
Draft Pick
Draft Pick
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:09 pm
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 47 times

paul johnston wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:23 pm
Clear The Zone wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:43 pm
Honestly I don't know what some of you were expecting. They are hardly likely to be sticking the boot in, are they?
Why would they have to put the boot in, not exactly playing like the Flyers of last season are they?
A balanced, accurate take on what's been in front of them is all one would ask for.
The thing is we've played 7 competitive games, only lost 2 of them (better record than Nottingham and Cardiff), and are top of our CC group so a "balanced accurate take" is we're doing pretty well, which was broadly the vibe of the podcast. They did touch on coughing up goals to turnovers, to be fair.

Obviously if anyone was tuning in expect to hear any of the forum catchphrases like "boring Fox hockey" and immediate handwringing that we've lost a couple of games they will be disappointed.

What will be an interesting topic to message in with, once we've got enough gamesheet attendance figures to know, is whether or not attendances are down compared to last year.
Post Reply