GAME THREAD: Blaze v Steelers : Sun 27th : Cup

The main chat area for hockey related discussion

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

That was not a tough schedule for an ice hockey team, especially one that's full benched and capable of running 4 forward lines, unlike some of our opponents.

I'd say it was tough if we were missing 3 or 4 players, but we weren't.

I've seen teams have to play two midweek games plus the weekends with short benches.....Now that's tough.

I also think 3 games in 3 days is challenging.

The reason we lost in Guildford and in Coventry wasn't because of the schedule, it's because we weren't good enough.

What's our record to date in away games.....3 - 0 behind in Manchester, 3 - 0 behind in Guildford and 4 - 0 behind in Coventry. In the first two we did claw our way back, but we can't afford to keep having these spells in games where we concede bunches of goals.

We're clearly not good enough on the road at the moment (Glasgow away being the exception), but I'm not sure if it's something that sits with the coaching or the players. If it can be fixed by coaching, then great, if not, then we'll need new players.

Certainly some players aren't living up to their CV's. I think it's far too early for changes, but if players are still not performing in November, then I'd like to think Fox would act.

Regards

Doom
Last edited by Doom on Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Brian
Pro Player
Pro Player
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm
Has Liked: 114 times
Been Liked: 164 times

You are quite right Doom, but under the 2025 squad number rule changes isn't there little room for getting new players in and present players out ?
User avatar
smbmetal
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am
Been Liked: 726 times

Brian wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:22 am
You are quite right Doom, but under the 2025 squad number rule changes isn't there little room for getting new players in and present players out ?
I didn't see this game, but as I mentioned in the pre-season summary thread, I feel this is a season too far for Fox. As for the squad as a whole, I don't believe we are anywhere near good enough to be challenging for the league title without a few changes.

Had to look up the rules for roster changes.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/5 ... or-2026-27

● Maximum number of players a team may register in one season: 25
● Maximum number of non-homegrown players a team may register in one season: 20
● Maximum number of non-homegrown players a team may have registered on their overall roster at any
one time: 18
● Two-way players not included
User avatar
Doom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 978 times

We've got 16 non-homegrown players to date, but according to the above we're allowed 20.

If this is correct, 4 changes are possible, although I'm sure Fox would want to hold back at least a couple for later in the season.

Like I said, it's too early for changes now because some players take time to settle and adjust, but there has to become a point where change is needed if a player is constantly below expectation.

Regards

Doom
Post Reply