paul johnston wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 10:14 pm
A very poor performance from a very vanilla team. Most players were well below the pace/anonymous and some of those who weren't so anonymous weren't for good reasons.
I liked most of Jasper, Archambault and Whistles game, the rest? Nah.
I won't mention coach and coaching decisions. It's like a stuck record.....i get bored moaning, Ginger gets bored defending him !

A very lacklustre effort and one we can't afford too many of.
I didn't watch as out of the country but by the sound of it, just defensively poor all over the ice. Guildford no mugs mind, that's a good team Dixon has built as the last few results have shown.
In regards to Brits, specifically IBN and Steele, I would always ask the question - if they play a regular shift in tight games, and we lose, then you could easily flip the argument round - why isn't Balmas etc getting more TOI when proven they are difference makers?
Development of young guys isn't easy, knowing when to put them in pressure situations is always a combination of luck and judgement from a coaching perspective. In addition, this is the first competitive loss this year - now if we were in a 18/19 season situation I'd be fully expecting to give them more ice time since the trophy pressure wouldn't be as great. But this early, it's tough. To borrow an example from the NHL, we're not talking about Celebrini type players who come in and are instantly in the top 3 talented guys on the roster.
Unfortunately I think this is becoming a stick to beat Fox with when we lose. But Keefe does exactly the same and is widely considered the best coach in the league. Difference is he's had exceptionally consistent performance from Conway/Piccinich/Goodwin etc. the majority of the time.
I also don't necessarily disagree that Fox needs a trophy this year if he is to stay beyond this year, but development of Brits given how B Whistle has progressed and how Sam Jones progressed pre his major injury issues suggests that isn't a huge hole in his coaching.
If established pros consistently perform poorly then fair, give the young ones more of an opportunity and sit the under performers. But in first poor competitive showing I think that's a massive overreaction